Sunday, June 20, 2010

Where there is no vision, the pictures perish.

In the town where I grew up there was an auto parts store that had a quote from Proverbs painted in large letters on the side of the building:  Where there is no vision, the people cherish.

Well, as you can tell from the title, I am going to paraphrase that just a little:  Where there is no vision, the pictures perish.

When I went outside with my camera to take a picture of this flower, I took my tripod.  I knew I wanted to take a picture of the flower, but I didn't have a vision of what I wanted.  So I just snapped away, trying various compositions.  I didn't even use the tripod.



Now if I had a vision, I would have used the tripod so that I could have closed down the aperture and achieved more depth of field.  But I didn't find this out until I looked at the image on the computer screen.

I don't think my vision would have included a patch of sky peeking through to draw attention away from the flower.  Nor would it have included the light colored rock in the lower left.

And what's up with that tip of a flower petal poking in on the lower right?

Oh well, every experience is a learning opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment